If you want a professional audio editing and recording tool to make podcasts and music or you just want to convert some audio files, you should choose Audacity. It's a powerful and open-source free software to meet various demands of audio editing and recording. This article is a review of Audacity and you can learn more details and functions about this tool.
Although Audacity is freeware, it has lots of professional audio editing features for musicians and podcast makers.
1. Audacity can record and mix real-time audio through a microphone, mixer, or digitize recordings from other media. It can also capture streaming audio with sound cards.
2. Filter Curve EQ and Graphic EQ are two equalizers of Audacity that allow you to manage and manipulate the volume and frequencies of audio.
3. Audacity supports plugins including LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST, and Audio Unit effect. You can also write and add your plugins in Audacity.
4. Using autotune on audio files through a plugin to correct pitch and tuning of music.
5. Envelope tool of Audacity allows you to control the volume of a track over time smoothly. Controlling the amplitude envelope in Audacity is similar to the hardware like a mixing board. The envelope tool can create and manipulate control points at a different point on the track and each of the control points contains information about volume changes over time.
6. Splitting track in Audacity is workable. The clip tool of Audacity allows you to easily split an audio track and edit or join them on the interface.
1. All the functions are free and no ads.
2. Supports multi-track recording and editing.
3. Compatible with 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples and various kinds of audio formats.
4. It provides lots of effects to modify audio files including noise reduction, compressor, reverb, and fade-out tools.
1. It doesn't have many advanced multi-track audio processing functions.
2. Only supports destructive editing.
GarageBand is an audio recording and mixing software developed by Apple. The latest version of GarageBand featured the most advanced and professional functions like smart and remote control and multi-track processing up to 255 tracks. And you can access hundreds of sound and instrument effects in the sound library from orchestral instruments to Chinese traditional instruments.
It's a tight and lightweight program that contains all the audio editing features. It supports ASIO and VST FX and you can change bit rates, convert, create volume envelopes, and detect beats with it. Wavosaur is fast to do all the processing and editing and you can undo your actions without reloading the original file.
Nero Wave Editor is an advanced audio editing and recording tool for professional sound engineers and artists. Its advanced and user-friendly environment provides editing functions including cut, copy, paste and deletes parts of the recording. It also has a multilingual interface that is designed with high performance and speed.
1. Is Audacity easy to use for beginners?
Yes, it is. Audacity has a well-organized interface that is easy to learn for a beginner. Also, the website of it provides lots of tutorials and introductions of all features of Audacity so that you can find the solution for your problem easily.
2. Is Audacity safe to use?
Yes, it is. If you download Audacity on the official website, the software is safe and it's co-designed with Microsoft and Apple ID on your devices. Your personal information is under protection and there is no virus, adware, and malware in the software.
3. Can Audacity run on mobile devices like iPhone and iPod?
No, it can't. Since it requires high processing power and disk space to run smoothly, the configuration of most mobile devices can't support running Audacity. If you want to record and edit audio on mobile devices, you can find some lightweight alternatives to Audacity.
In this article, you can learn the features and details of Audacity. It's a versatile and professional audio editing and recording tool for a large group of people. This review also provides 3 alternatives to Audacity that have different functions so you can find the one that suits you. If have any questions about Audacity or you want to know more about it, please leave your comment below.
Did you find this helpful?
113 VotesYESThanks for letting us know!NoThanks for letting us know!